Description The Department of Mechanical Engineering (MechE) at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) has an immediate opening for an Administrative Coordinator. In this position, you report directly to the Business Manager in the Mechanical Engineering Department. You will lead and ensure that the administrative functions related to the assigned faculty support cluster are effectively carried out. (A cluster is defined as multiple faculty members and their research and academic teams including undergraduate and graduate students, research scientists, postdoctoral research associates, collaborators, visiting scholars, technicians). You are responsible for a broad variety of administrative tasks including but not limited to:
- Day-to-day workflow of the cluster.
- Completing financial/administrative tasks including expense reimbursements; verifying procurement card purchases; initiating purchase order requests and assisting Department Buyer with collecting required documentation; equipment, office and technical supply purchasing.
- Leading and directing the travel arrangement process for the cluster; process forms and communicate with travelers and travel providers; maintain policy compliance and resolve complications that arise before and during travel.
- Composing and preparing confidential correspondence; managing an active calendar of appointments (demonstrates significant independent judgment in identifying and prioritizing scheduling requests and resolving potential scheduling conflicts).
- Compiling documents and building agendas for academic and/or research related meetings.
- Performs specialized administrative support work that requires the exercise of independent judgment, the application of technical skills, and detailed knowledge of University, College and Department level policies and procedures.
- Communicates directly and on behalf of the assigned cluster with internal and external constituents.
- Researches, prioritizes and follows up on incoming issues and concerns related to the assigned cluster; determines appropriate course of action, referral or response.
- Acts as an information resource.
- Coordinates/assists with the event planning process for small research or academic related events hosted by a member of the assigned faculty support cluster (group meetings, seminars, workshops, etc.) including logistical support (catering, contracts, space reservation, remote connectivity and video communication). May assist other Department event planners with logistical support for larger events.
- Provides support for Academic Programs Coordinator: make copies, file coursework, and assist with classroom IT requests, make purchases as needed for food, course and project supplies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor at all times.
- 1-3 years of administrative support experience.
- Higher Education experience preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, reasoning, organization, and planning skills.
Please visit Why Carnegie Mellon to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/index.html
Carnegie Mellon University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.